Recipe of the Week!
Pad Thai Eat-Clean Style
YIELD: 8 servings
PREPARATION TIME: 50 minutes
COOKING TIME: 25 minutes
• 8 oz / 224 g rice noodles or brown rice noodles, flat
• (Enough hot boiled water to cover noodles*)
• 1 Tbsp / 15 ml canola oil
• 2 cloves garlic, passed through a garlic press
• 2 cups / 480 ml shredded Savoy cabbage
• 2 thick carrots, peeled and cut into thin slices
• 5 egg whites, lightly beaten
• 3 cups / 710 ml bean sprouts
• 1 cup / 240 ml julienned green zucchini
• 1 cup / 240 ml chopped green onions
• ¼ cup / 60 ml fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
*Reserve 2 Tbsp / 30 ml noodle water
• 3 Tbsp / 45 ml rice wine vinegar or rice vinegar
• ¼ cup / 60 ml low-sodium tomato paste
• 2 Tbsp / 30 ml reserved noodle water
• 2 Tbsp / 30 ml unsulfured molasses
• 2 Tbsp / 30 ml low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- Cover the rice noodles with boiling water in a ceramic bowl. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes to soften noodles. Drain, reserving 2 Tbsp / 30 ml noodle water.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in garlic, cabbage and carrot. Stir-fry for 5 minutes. Make a well in the middle of the pan and scramble the egg whites. Add noodles and sauce and cook for 5 minutes. Add bean sprouts, zucchini and green onions and cook a little longer to heat through. Remove from heat and serve. Garnish each dish with chopped cilantro.
Add Chicken of Tofu for a nutritionally balanced meal!
Nutritional Value per Serving:Calories: 158
Calories from Fat: 19
Total Fat: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
Total Carbs: 30 g
Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 5 g